Monday, January 03, 2011

Getting Started

As noted in the heading, beginning today I am devoting this area exclusively to reflections on thoughts-in-progress about my research work. I am in the organizational management-leadership specialization of Capella University.[...and this is my second Ph.D., by the way; the first was from Bernelli University [formerly Berne] and that degree was in business administration.]

The methodology is likely to be either a case study or research design--with some elements of quantitative to be included (thus, making it more mixed methods than pure qualitative).

I am coming to fully embrace the passion I have for research writing and this second-time-around dissertation experience has really brought it to the fore. I am gradually moving in the direction of becoming a professional research writer and I have learned from experience that the best way I learn is by "talking through" what's happening to me as learning is taking place. I have been doing this to some extent in a private journal notebook and also in the Capella courseroom that allows regular correspondence with my mentor. But the conversations here will be different.

What will be presented on a fairly regular basis is my thinking-in-progress about the topic (A STUDY ON THE INFLUENCE THAT INTERGENERATIONAL DIFFERENCES ARE HAVING ON THE LEADERSHIP AND ORGANIZATIONAL DIRECTION OF A DETROIT AREA CHURCH) and the research experience itself. Also to be included will be some of the discoveries I make about research and how it all ties together in becoming a professional research writer (i.e. being regularly published in academic publications, presenting at conferences, being successful in book publishing and other media, etc.). [One person I consider a role model in this area is Harvard Professor Michael Porter, a founding theorist of the organizational and business strategy concepts of comparative advantage and Creating Shared Value (CSV).]

My hope is that someone out there who is either going through the dissertation experience, or will be, can benefit from my reflections and observations. Think of this as a variation on the "Julia and Julie" blog only instead of French cuisines and dinner party suggestions, the discussions will be about literature reviews and conceptual frameworks! : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home